To request an exemption, due to retirement, you will need to meet eligibility requirements and submit it annually between April 1-June 1 of each year through My Portal as part of your AMD/CPD application.
If you are recently retired, update your employment details online at My Portal within 30 days of any change.
You may be considered retired, and therefore exempt from AMD payment, if you have, on April 1 of the year the Due is due, ceased full-time practice, employment or full-time business activity and (one of):
- are 65 years of age or older, and have been granted retired‑member status in another provincial body or a recognized professional accounting body, and have been a member in good standing with CPA Ontario for at least one year
- are 55 years of age or older and the sum of your age and the total years of membership in CPA Ontario (or a legacy body, provincial bodies or a recognized professional accounting body) equals or exceeds 70, and gross employment income is not greater than CDN$25,000
- have retired-member status in another provincial body or a recognized professional accounting body and have been a member in good standing for 15 continuous years
- been granted retired-member status with CPA Ontario before July 2, 2014
- are a life member (permanent automatic exemption)
For full details on AMD exemption, refer to Regulation 11-1.
You may be exempt from CPD requirements if as of December 31 of the previous year you have:
- ceased full-time practice, employment or full-time business activity
- are 55 years of age or older
- the sum of your age and years of membership is 70 or more
- you do not hold a Public Accounting Licence
- you do not serve on the board of a public company or public interest entity
- your revenue for accounting or professional services is less than CDN$25,000
You may have your CPD requirements reduced by 50 per cent if you would otherwise meet the exemption requirements but are serving on the board of a public interest entity or your revenue for accounting or professional services is between CDN$25,000 and $75,000.
If you do not meet all of the above criteria for an exemption or a 50 per cent reduction, you must complete the full CPD requirements.
For further details on CPD reductions or exemptions, refer to Regulation 7-2.
A retired member is eligible to register for up to three full days of CPA Ontario CPD courses each year without being required to pay the registration fee if they:
- are not licensed as a public accountant
- do not provide any professional services for which they are remunerated
- do not receive remuneration, such as directors’ fees, for serving on the board of a public interest entity or governing body of a reporting issuer
If you are retired and meet the eligibility criteria required to register for free course(s), please email Professional Development to identify the course(s) you wish to attend. You will receive an email within five business days confirming or denying your request. You may also call 1 800 387.0735 ext. 7218 for more information or to register by phone.
Coming out of retirement?
Refresh your skills with CPD that is relevant to your practice or profession and be prepared to meet the full AMD/CPD requirements next year.
Log in to My Portal to update your employment details.
A retired member is still an active member and has access to all the rights, responsibilities and benefits of membership. If you would prefer to resign from membership, you can find more information here.
If you plan to close your practice, follow our guide for closing a firm which outlines requirements and how to plan and effectively communicate an exit strategy.