Become a Part-Time Practice Inspector
The success of Practice Inspection relies upon the commitment and expertise of our inspectors. We recruit part-time inspectors between November 1 and January 31 every year for roles commencing in May every year. In order to fulfil this role, you must be a member in good standing of CPA Ontario and either a manager or partner/sole practitioner (or equivalent) in a public accounting practice whose clientele includes a variety of audit and review engagements. A minimum commitment of 15 days per year (or approximately 110 hours) is required, to a maximum of 30 days (approximately 225 hours); the current rate of reimbursement is $155 per hour.
Please note that we are not seeking candidates to perform inspections of “compilation engagement, only” practices at this time.
A prerequisite to the performance of practice inspections is attendance at a training session, to be held in May each year (exact dates and location/virtual link to be advised). In addition to members who have expertise with CPA Canada Handbook – Accounting, Part II (Accounting Standards for Private Enterprises) and Part III (Accounting Standards for Not-for-Profit Organizations), we invite applications from members whose qualifications include one or more of the following:
- fluency in written business French, in addition to English
- current practice is registered with the Canadian Public Accountability Board (CPAB) and presently includes listed entity audit clients
- current assurance clients whose financial statements are prepared under at least one of the following frameworks:
- CPA Canada Handbook - Accounting, Part I - International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), e.g. credit unions, investment funds, mortgage investment companies, utilities, government business enterprises, etc.
- Public Sector Accounting (PSAs), e.g. municipalities, hospitals, school boards, First Nations, etc.
Members who have been retired from public practice and whose recent public accounting activities would otherwise meet the criteria set out above are also encouraged to apply, in particular those residing in eastern and southwestern Ontario.
If you are interested in applying, please complete the Application for Part-Time Practice Inspector. This document is a fillable, saveable PDF and includes instructions for submission. While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, we will respond only to those whom we wish to interview for further consideration.