Sole Proprietorship or Partnership
1. Obtain Professional Liability Insurance.
2. Register your firm with CPA Ontario by logging in to My Portal, selecting Obligations and Requests, and then Applications and Start New Application.
Note: Prior to submitting this application, members are recommended to request separate approval of a proposed firm name by logging into My Portal, selecting Obligations and Requests and then Applications and Start New Application. Finally click on Firm Name Pre-Approval Application. The request must include all relevant facts such as:
- The proposed name.
- The nature of the services being provided.
- The practice structure.
- The number of members, students, professional colleagues, and non-members involved with the practice.
- The names of the members involved in the practice.
Responses will be provided in writing. (Please refer to the provisions of CPA Code of Professional Conduct Rules 401 and 404 and related guidance concerning the use of Firm names.)
Also see Regulation 10-1, Firms, which pertains to firm registration, firm names and bankruptcy.