Legacy CMA Deadlines
The deadline for completing your legacy CMA requirements was June 30, 2020
Some Legacy CMA students have expressed concern about meeting the June 30, 2020 deadline as failure to do so will result in deregistration. A student who has been deregistered will not be able to reregister except under extraordinary circumstances.
If you don’t think you’ll be able to meet your deadlines, there is a new option available to you. This option allows you to apply to become a Transitional CMA student under Regulation 9-1.
What this means for you
By changing registration categories, you will be eligible to achieve a CPA designation. However, you will no longer be eligible to achieve a dual designation (CPA, CMA).
- successfully complete Capstone 1, Capstone 2 and the CFE by June 30, 2022
- complete the CPA Ontario Practical Experience Requirements by June 30, 2023
Failure to complete the transitional requirements by the prescribed deadlines noted above will result in deregistration.
Our Legacy CMA student flowchart will help you determine if applying to become a Transitional CMA student is right for you.
Read the Legacy CMA flowchart pdf
Important Note: If you choose to transition from the Legacy CMA category to the Transitional CMA category, you will be unable to transition back. A transition is irrevocable. Please ensure you fully understand the consequences prior to applying to transition.*Click or tap on the image to view a PDF version of this image
If you have not done so already, review the flowchart to help you decide if applying to become a Transitional CMA student is right for you.
Should you choose to transition:
- You need to complete, sign and date this declaration form.
- Email the declaration form to our registration team.
- If approved, we will contact you to inform you that your registration category has been changed and you may enrol in Capstone 1.
Should you have further questions or would like to set up an advisement call, please contact us.
CMA legacy requirements
Am I a legacy CMA student?
You fall under this category if you:
- registered with CMA Ontario prior to February 1, 2015
- completed all the education components of the CMA program
- have completed the legacy CMA Practical Experience Requirements or working towards completing the CPA Practical Experience Requirements
- maintained your status as an active student by paying the CPA Ontario Annual Student Due (ASD)
Once you have completed all the requirements by the deadlines indicated below, you may be eligible for the CPA, CMA designation. For more information, refer to Regulation 9-1.
You must complete your CMA legacy practical experience requirements by September 1, 2018. iSkills will not be available after this date, so it is imperative that you complete your practical experience by this date.
Deadlines to apply for membership
To be eligible for the CMA designation, you must complete all the requirements and meet the following deadlines:
- You met the legacy CMA Practical Experience Requirements in iSkills prior to September 1, 2018
- You meet the CPA Practical Experience Requirements in PERT prior to June 30, 2020
Once you have completed all the requirements and meet the deadlines above, you may apply for membership.
Completing legacy CMA practical experience?
If you did not meet the legacy CMA Practical Experience Requirements in iSkills prior to September 1, 2018 you must transition to the CPA Practical Experience Requirements and report in PERT. Learn how to transition here.
Meet your deadlines
Ensure you are familiar with the deadlines you must meet to successfully complete the program. Students who do not meet the deadlines will be deregistered from the program.Review the consequences of deregistration