Legacy CGA Deadlines
The deadline to complete your Legacy CGA requirements is fast approaching. Worried about meeting your deadline? Learn more below.
The deadline for completing your legacy CGA requirements was June 30, 2020
Some Legacy CGA students have expressed concern about meeting the June 30, 2020 deadline as failure to do so will result in deregistration. A Student who has been deregistered will not be able to reregister except under extraordinary circumstances.
If you don’t think you’ll be able to meet your deadlines, there is a new option available to you. This option allows you to apply to become a Transitional CGA Student under Regulation 9-1.
What this means for you
By changing registration categories, you will be eligible to achieve a CPA designation – however, you will no longer be eligible to achieve a dual designation (CPA, CGA).
- Confer a 90 credit-hour degree by the earliest of the commencement of Capstone 1 or by June 30, 2020.
- Successfully complete Capstone 1, Capstone 2 and the CFE by June 30, 2022.
- Complete the CPA Ontario Practical Experience Requirements by June 30, 2023.
Our flowchart for Legacy CGA students will help you determine if applying to become a Transitional CGA student is right for you.
Read the Legacy CGA flowchart pdf
Important Note: If you choose to transition from the Legacy CGA category to the Transitional CGA category, you will be unable to transition back. A transition is irrevocable. Please ensure you fully understand the consequences prior to applying to transition.*Click or tap on the image to view a PDF of this image
If you have not done so already, review the flowchart to help you decide if applying to become a Transitional CGA student is right for you.
Should you choose to transition:
- You need to complete, sign and date this declaration form.
- Email the declaration form to registration.
- If approved, we will contact you to inform you that your registration category has been changed and you may enrol in Capstone 1.
Should you have further questions or would like to set up an advisement call, please contact us.
Am I legacy CGA student?
You are considered a legacy CGA student if you:
- Registered prior to September 1,
2015with CGA Ontario and have completed all of the educational components of the CGA program.
- You are currently in the process of completing your practical experience requirements or are completing your 90 credit-hour
- You have maintained your status as an active student by paying the CPA Ontario Annual Student Due (ASD).
Once you have completed all the requirements by the deadlines indicated below, you may be eligible for the CPA, CGA dual designation. For more information, refer to Regulation 9-1.
- You must complete a 90 credit-hour degree by June 30, 2020. Students who do not complete the degree requirement by this time will be deregistered.
- You have completed the education requirements of the legacy CGA program.
Submitting Your Proof of Degree
To submit your proof of degree, have your official transcript(s) showing degree conferral mailed directly from your post-secondary institution in a sealed envelope to:
Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario
130 King Street West, Suite 3400
PO Box 358
Toronto, ON M5X 1E1
Attention: Transcript Assessments & Registration
Completing legacy CGA practical experience?
Any legacy experience completed and reported in PERC by September 1, 2018 will be recognized until June 30, 2022, provided all other CPA Ontario program requirements have been met.
If you did not meet your legacy CGA practical experience requirements, you must transition to the CPA practical experience requirements and begin reporting your experience through PERT.Learn more
Meet your deadlines
Ensure you are familiar with the deadlines you must meet to successfully complete the program. Students who do not meet the deadlines will be deregistered from the program.Review the consequences of deregistration
Applying for membership
If you have completed all education and practical experience requirements, you may apply for membership.Apply for membership