Legacy CA Practical Experience Requirements
If you did not complete your legacy CA practical experience requirements by September 1, 2018, you must transition to reporting using the Practical Experience Reporting Tool (PERT).
Determine your next steps
Follow the steps below to determine your next steps to complete your practical experience requirements.
- Review your experience gained to date by logging in to your account.
- Review the CPA Competency Requirements.
- Access PERT and Create Profile.
- Log in to PERT using your CPA Ontario ID and password.
- Complete a Catch-up Experience Report in PERT
- Claim previous work experience and self-assess competencies and proficiency levels based on your RQE. Please review the Transition Fact Sheet for steps required.
- Upon activating your “PER effective date” in PERT, submit a Catch-up Report to claim any work experience that was recognized as legacy CA experience.
- Past experience reported through RQEs and 6-4M forms does not automatically transfer to PERT.
- Experience gained
- If you have any experience gained before your PER Effective Date recorded in PERT that is not covered as part of your Catch-up Report (i.e. was not recognized as legacy CA experience), then you can claim up to 12 months as prior experience (meaning prior to your PER Effective Date in PERT).
Legacy Student CA in the Experience Verification Route (EVR)
If you are obtaining your practical experience outside of a Pre-approved Program through the Experience Verification Route (EVR) you are not eligible for the dual CPA, CA designation. As such, you cannot report your experience using RQEs and must transfer to Regulation 6-1 by completing a declaration form.
Visit our helpful resources
We've compiled handy resources to help you learn more about CPA Ontario’s Practical Experience Requirements.Take me there
Select one of the following numbers to provide feedback about this page: 1 is Not Satisfied, 2 is Indifferent, and 3 is Satisfied.