Beginning of Main Content
The deadline for completing your Legacy CA requirements is the earliest of either:
- February 1, 2020 (to meet the requirements for admission to membership); or
- 10 years from your date of registration.
Some Legacy CA students have expressed concern about meeting their deadlines, as failure to do so will result in deregistration. A student who has been deregistered will not be able to reregister except under extraordinary circumstances.
If you don’t think you’ll be able to meet your deadlines, there is a new option available to you. This option allows you to apply to become a Transitional CA student under Regulation 9-1.
WHAT THIS MEANS FOR YOU
By changing registration categories, you will be eligible to achieve a CPA designation. However, you will no longer be eligible to achieve a dual designation (CPA, CA).
- Successfully complete any outstanding PEP Modules, Capstone 1, Capstone 2 and the CFE by June 30, 2022.
- Complete the CPA Ontario Practical Experience requirements by June 30, 2023.
- Complete all of the above requirements prior to 10 years from your date of registration.
This flowchart will help you determine if applying to become a Transitional CA Student is right for you:
*Click or tap on the image to expand
Important Note: If you choose to transition from the Legacy CA category to the Transitional CA category, you will be unable to transition back. A transition is irrevocable. Please ensure you fully understand the consequences prior to applying to transition.
Should you have not done so already, review the flowchart to help you decide if applying to become a transitional student is right for you.
Should you choose to transition:
- You need to complete, sign and date this declaration form.
- Email the declaration form to [email protected].
- If approved, we will contact you to inform you that your registration category has been changed and you may enroll in Capstone 1.
If you have further questions or would like to set up an advisement call, please contact us.
APPLYING FOR MEMBERSHIP
You may be eligible for the CPA, CA designation if you meet all the education and practical experience requirements outlined in Regulation 9-2 and apply for membership before the earlier of:
- February 1, 2020; or
- the tenth anniversary of the date of your registration as a student with CPA Ontario.
Once you have completed all the requirements within the specific deadlines, you may apply for membership. Refer to your Student Dashboard where the Admission to Membership application form will be made available to you if you are eligible.