Practical experience is captured through the profession's online Practical Experience Reporting Tool (PERT). PERT facilitates discussion of your progress with your CPA mentor and is the tool that CPA Ontario will use to assess and recognize your experience.
PERT is used by:
- students in the CPA program (any student enrolled in preparatory courses or the CPA PEP).
- legacy CA students who either registered OR started working on, or after, September 1, 2014.
- any student who began working in a Pre-Approved Program (PPR) with an approval date of September 1, 2014 or later.
- CGA transition students not reporting in Practical Experience Reporting Tool.
How to Access PERT
Before you can obtain access to PERT, you must obtain a minimum grade of 60 percent on the Practical Experience Student Orientation Course within Brightspace (D2L). Access to this course is granted automatically if you indicated your employment when you registered as a student with CPA Ontario.
STEP 1: Students must be registered as a student with CPA Ontario to access PERT. If you are not yet registered, please visit Get Started on Your CPA Path Today. Students who are in a co-op program should follow the steps outlined in the Practical Experience Reporting Requirements for Co-op Students factsheet.
If you previously indicated that you were unemployed and your employment status has now changed after you have registered, complete the PERT Access Form and submit it to email@example.com.
STEP 2: Once your student registration has been processed, you will receive an email directly from Brightspace, CPA Ontario’s online learning platform, with your login information. Log into Brightspace and complete the mandatory orientation course with a minimum grade of 60% to gain access to PERT. One business day after you have successfully completed the course and passed the quiz, you will be able to log into PERT. Students are permitted multiple attempts at the quiz until they have passed.
STEP 3: Once you have gained access to PERT you will be required to update your profile. Students in the pre-approved program route must submit an "experience report", while students in the experience verification route will be required to submit a "pre-assessment".
- Pre-Approved Program Route - confirmation of employment will be provided by the Program Manager at your organization. A form is no longer required to confirm your employment. You are required to create an experience report in PERT with a start date that is equal to your start date in the Pre-approved Program. Please ensure that you have indicated the correct employer, location and program name within your PERT profile.
- Experience Verification Route - a job description of your current position on your employer’s letterhead must be attached to your pre-assessment report in PERT. You must also indicate your employment start date on your job description (hand-written is acceptable).
Note: The required 30 months of CPA Practical Experience cannot commence until your employment has been successfully pre-assessed through PERT.
The PERT User guides are available to assist you in creating your experience reports within PERT. The guides will enhance your user experience and help you become more effective and efficient when capturing your practical experience.