Member in Good Standing of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI)
CPA Ontario continues to accept applications from members in good standing of ICAI under the terms of the legacy Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). CPA Canada is in the process of negotiating a new MOU with ICAI. More information will become available once a new MOU is finalized and ratified.
Eligibility requirements for this category are:
- Be a member in good standing of ICAI; and
- Have been admitted to ICAI by completing ICAI’s qualifying examinations and not by virtue of another agreement with a third party; and
- Hold a university degree that is recognized by ICAI.
How to Register
Please submit the following:
- A Letter of Good Standing (LGS) from the ICAI certifying membership in good standing in that body and of having been conferred with a recognized university degree. CPA Ontario will accept this LGS provided that it is on an official letterhead, signed by an authorized official of the ICAI and bears the official seal or stamp of the ICAI. The ICAI member may submit the LGS as long as they provide the original LGS by mail. Alternatively, ICAI may email the LGS directly to CPA Ontario. Submission instructions are noted below.
- International Candidate Application Form;
- CPA Certification Program CPA Student Registration Form 6-1A;
- Fee Remittance – see details below;
- Sign and date CPA Ontario’s Academic Code of Conduct and abide by it;
- Proof of legal name
- Chronological résumé listing all work experience; and
- Letters of good standing from all other professional accounting bodies in which you hold membership.
For more information on how to access your records, please see our Access to Records Policy
Your application will not be considered complete until all information and documentation has been received. It is your responsibility to ensure the application is complete, accurate and is received by the Registrar.
Submit your application via email or regular mail. Information completed via affidavit and containing a notary or commissioner stamp or seal must be submitted in original form by regular mail.
69 Bloor Street East
Toronto, ON M4W 1B3
Attention: Registrar’s Office
Upon receipt of your complete application for registration, you will be informed within eight to twelve weeks of the Registrar’s decision.
Students registered in this category are required to successfully complete the following:
- Capstone 1 Module;
- Capstone 2 Module;
- Common Final Examination (CFE); and
- Fulfill or be exempted from the prescribed practical experience requirement.
Practical Experience Requirement
CPA students are required to complete a period of prescribed practical experience during which time specific competencies must be met. CPA Ontario students registered in the CPA Certification Program pursuant to the MOU with ICAI may apply for a full or partial exemption from the prescribed practical experience requirement by submitting a Practical Experience Certificate for Internationally Trained Candidates for each of your former employers and your current employer. Appropriate third-party verification is required.
All requests for exemption from the practical experience requirement are reviewed only after the application for student registration is approved by the Registrar. Furthermore, these requests will only be considered after you enrol in the Common Final Examination (CFE).
If you are applying to register as a student, you are required to submit fees with your application. The fees can be paid by credit card or by cheque made payable to Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario.
If you submit your application from January 1 to June 30 fees are as follows: