Stay-up-to-date on matters or accounting
Stay up-to-date on matters of assurance
- Preparing for the New Review Engagement Standard (2016) - PDF
- Using Canadian Auditing Standards to Your Advantage (2013) - PDF
- The Importance of Understanding the Entity and Its Environment in a Review Engagement - PDF
- The Importance of Professional Judgment and Professional Skepticism in Conducting a Review Engagement - PDF
- Evaluating and Communicating Preconditions for Accepting a Review Engagement - PDF
- Acceptance and Continuation Considerations in a Review Engagement - PDF
- Inquiry and Analytical Procedures in Conducting a Review Engagement - PDF
- Documentation Considerations in a Review Engagement - PDF
The issues of cybersecurity and privacy have sweeping implications.
- Ten Things to Consider Before Moving to the Cloud (CPA Canada article)
- SMPs and the Cloud: Key Benefits & Risks - (CPA Canada 2013) - PDF
- ERM for Cloud Computing - (COSO 2012) - PDF
- Cloud Computing - A Primer - (CPA Canada 2011) - PDF
- Invest in Security Now or Pay Later - (2009) - PDF
- Digital Data and Security - PDF
Ethics and ethical behaviour are the foundation of the trusted work of accountancy.
- To Whom Can I Give Client Information? - (updated 2016) - PDF
- Holding Client Files as Ransom - (updated 2016) - PDF
- How and When Can You Resign From Audit? - (updated 2016) - PDF
Understanding engagement risk is critical to public practice.
- AGM Roles and Rules for Public Accountants - (updated 2016) - PDF
- Surprise! Compilation Engagement Claims Exist - (Winter 2011 CheckMark) - PDF
- Let the Good Times Roll but be Wary of the Increased Risk - (Spring 2006 CheckMark) - PDF
- The Risks of Auditing a Credit Union - (June 2009 Chartered Accountant Risk Management Newsletter) - PDF
- Notice to Reader: Limited Responsibility with Potentially High Risk - (Winter 2005 CheckMark) - PDF
Understand issues relating to charging and collecting fees as an accounting professional.
- Minimum Fees and Fee Collection - (updated 2016) - PDF
- A Simple Step to Minimize Fee Disputes - Winter 2003 CheckMark) - PDF
Successful management and retention of files is key to a successful practice.
- What to Keep and For How Long? - (updated 2016) - PDF
- Electronic Record Keeping (Canada Revenue Agency)
- Keeping Records (Canada Revenue Agency)
Accounting and finance professionals encounter fraud on a regular basis.
- Fraud in the not-for-profit environment (CPA Canada 2016)
- CAS 240 - Implementation tool for auditors (CPA Canada 2015)
- How to comply with Canada’s anti-money laundering requirements (CPA Canada 2008)
Independence is a cornerstone of assurance engagements.
- Guide to Canadian Independence Standard - (updated 2016) - PDF
- Changes to Rule 204 Independence to Address Breaches and Contingent Fees - (updated 2016) - PDF
- Revisions to Independence Standard (2014) - (updated 2016) - PDF
- Clarification on 2010 Changes to Independence Rule in respect of Partner Rotation - (updated 2016) - PDF
- Update on Annual Communication of Independence Matters - (updated 2016) - PDF
- Your Ability to Act as an Executor or Trustee for Your Clients - (updated 2016) - PDF
Public Accounting Licenses
Understand issues relating to fulfilling the public accounting licence requirements in Ontario
- Claiming Hours Not Charged to Clients as Eligible Hours for Public Accounting Licence Renewal - ( updated 2016) - PDF
Planning well in advance of potential problems in your practice is crucial. Here are some things you need to know.
- Practice Continuation Plan — Your Legacy for Others - (updated 2016) - PDF
- Do Your Families Know Who to Contact When You Pass Away? - (updated 2016) - PDF
- The Partnership “Prenup”: Responsibly Managing Dissolutions - (Autumn 2010) - PDF
Stay up-to-date on matters of taxation. Check here for current information.
- CRA's Online Authorization for Businesses (RC59): A Step-by-Step Guide for Practitioners on How to Complete It - (updated 2017) - PDF
- Mechanical Processing of Tax Returns - (updated 2016) - PDF
Public Accounting, Wealth Management and Election Guidance.
- Public Accounting: Association with Non-Members in Public Practice - (updated 2016) - PDF
- Impact of New Rule 216 Commission or Similar Compensation Arrangements - (updated 2016) - PDF
- Election Guidance: Attention CFOs, Official Agents, and Auditors of Election Candidates - (updated 2016) - PDF