Beginning of Main Content
Ivey Academy and CPA Ontario - Leadership Development Pathways
Value Creation and Risk Management for CPAs
NOTE: This course is delivered virtually over six weeks and includes 24 hours of learning. Expect highly interactive live sessions led by expert Ivey faculty, small peer learning groups, online simulations and self-paced learning journeys.
HOW YOU LEARN
Ivey’s real-world case methodology isn’t about textbooks and lectures – it’s about learning by doing.
Through expert-led seminars and deep discussion with peers, you will gain vital insights on the potential for tangible change – in your business and in society.
This course blends contemporary academic research with practical, case-based, experiential learning and real-world expertise. Gain actionable business insights and access to a network of alumni that supports continuing individual growth.
Learning methods include:
- Self-paced learning that includes pre-recorded videos, readings and case studies
- Live sessions led by expert Ivey faculty
- Discussion sessions with peers in private forums and guided self-reflection exercises
- Online simulations using realistic challenges where leaders can test action against immediate feedback in individual or team-based scenarios
- Opportunities to test leadership skills in online simulations, apply concepts in critical decision-making moments and navigate team dynamics – just like in real life
- Peer learning sessions to share experiences, exchange ideas and collaborate to solve challenges with fellow participants in virtual breakout groups during larger sessions
- Gain a deep understanding of risk and approaches to managing frequent surprises
- Acknowledge that risks happen all the time
- Discover techniques to deal effectively with uncertainty and associated risks
- Identify opportunities that can influence an organization’s ability to build or lose value
- Learn to plan and outline the roles and responsibilities of key institutional stakeholders and build effective risk management within corporate governance
- Recognize risk, flexibility and resilience as opportunities
WHO WILL BENEFIT
This course is designed for CPAs who are in a new role, seeking a promotion (e.g. Mangers, Senior Managers, Directors) or looking to manage a department. They should possess five to fourteen years of experience.
While not required, we often recommend that two leaders from one organization attend together to maximize learning outcomes. This helps to generate dialogue and maximize learning outcomes for your entire team, not just course participants.
NEED APPROVAL TO ATTEND?
Stephen Sapp holds a Masters Degree (Applied Statistics) from the University of Toronto and a Ph.D. (Finance) from the Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University. He has worked as a consultant at both the German Cancer Research Centre and the Centre for European Economic Research. Before coming to Ivey, Professor Sapp was an adjunct lecturer in Finance at Kellogg where he taught Investments. Professor Sapp's research has led him to examine how changing economic conditions influence financial decisions in global equity markets and the foreign exchange market. He is studying how differences in the regulatory and corporate governance structures across countries influence firms' decisions, for example, how different ownership structures and corporate governance systems influence strategic decision-making, especially executive compensation.
Be prepared to identify, evaluate, anticipate and respond to risk. Align your organization with opportunities, even under high-stress conditions.
The Ivey Academy and CPA Ontario Leadership Development Pathways are a collaboration between CPA Ontario and The Ivey Academy at Ivey Business School to deliver professional leadership development tailored for emerging and established CPAs alike.
Please visit our website for more information on this unique learning experience and how to earn a Certificate in Leadership.