Beginning of Main Content
Ivey Academy and CPA Ontario - Leadership Development Pathways
Management in the Data Era for CPAs
NOTE: This course is delivered virtually over four weeks and includes 20 hours of learning. Expect highly interactive live sessions led by expert Ivey faculty, small peer learning groups, online simulations and self-paced learning journeys.
HOW YOU LEARN
This course is deeply experiential, grounded in case research and facilitated by expert faculty from Ivey Business School.
Ivey’s real-world case methodology isn’t about textbooks and lectures – it’s about learning by doing. You will identify specific, practical learning takeaways through deep discussion and simulations, then develop an implementation plan with feedback from other leaders.
Learning methods include:
- Self-paced learning that includes pre-recorded videos, readings and case studies
- Live sessions led by expert Ivey faculty
- Discussion sessions with peers in private forums and guided self-reflection exercises
- Online simulations using realistic challenges where leaders can test action against immediate feedback in individual or team-based scenarios
- Opportunities to test leadership skills in online simulations, apply concepts in critical decision-making moments and navigate team dynamics – just like in real life
- Peer learning sessions to share experiences, exchange ideas and collaborate to solve challenges in virtual breakout groups during larger sessions
- Understand how analytics works and what it can do for you
- Take a hands-on look at the mechanics behind Artificial Intelligence
- Learn to navigate new technologies and think critically about data
- Explore real-world analytics projects
- Network with other leaders from across sectors and industries
- Build a personalized “return-to-work” action plan to apply new learning
WHO WILL BENEFIT
This course is designed for CPAs who are in a new role, seeking a promotion (e.g. Managers, Senior Managers, Directors) or looking to manage a department. They should possess five to fourteen years of experience.
While not required, we often recommend that two leaders from one organization attend together to maximize learning outcomes. This helps to generate dialogue and maximize learning outcomes for your entire team, not just course participants.
NEED APPROVAL TO ATTEND?
Mehmet A. Begen is an industrial engineer, a management scientist and an Associate Professor at the Ivey Business School at Western University. He has PhD and MS degrees in management science from Sauder School of Business at the University of British Columbia, and a BS degree in industrial engineering from Middle East Technical University in Turkey. Mehmet's research interests are management science and analytics applications, data-driven approaches, and scheduling and operations management in healthcare. Mehmet is a Certified Analytics Professional (CAP), worked in management consulting before his PhD studies, is a recipient of CORS (Canadian Operational Research Society) Practice Prize, and served as the president of CORS. He teaches courses on analytical modelling, financial analytics, analytics projects, big data tools and statistics.
Fredrik Odegaard has developed a wide spectrum of analytics courses within all programs offered at the Ivey Business School: HBA, MBA, MSc, PhD and Executive Education. He has taught courses on Decision Making with Analytics, Competing with Analytics, Revenue Management, Statistics, Big Data, Data Science, and Creative Analytics. Fredrik has a PhD in Management Science from the Sauder School of Business at the University of British Columbia, a dual Masters degree in Operations Research and Statistics from Stanford University, and an undergraduate degree in Purchasing and Logistics Management from Arizona State University. Fredrik has worked with a number of corporate clients, including Fujitsu-Siemens Computers, Nokia, Lucchini, Infineon, Royal Copenhagen, Novo Nordisk, the Swedish Armed Forces Head Quarters, the Swedish Institute Evaluation of Labor Market and Education Policy, and the Danish Ministry of Energy.
Organize your team, align your culture and lead your organization through data-driven change.
The Ivey Academy and CPA Ontario Leadership Development Pathways are a collaboration between CPA Ontario and The Ivey Academy at Ivey Business School to deliver professional leadership development tailored for emerging and established CPAs alike.
Please visit our website for more information on this unique learning experience and how to earn a Certificate in Executive Leadership.