Strategic Business Negotiations for CPAs
Develop a practical and successful negotiation approach that can be applied anywhere, anytime.
The Ivey Academy and CPA Ontario Certificate in Leadership is a collaboration between CPA Ontario and The Ivey Academy at Ivey Business School to deliver professional leadership development tailored for emerging and established CPAs alike.
Learn more about this unique learning experience and how to earn a Certificate in Leadership.
Each completed course awards a digital badge to signify your accomplishment. You can share these badges across social media, websites, ePortfolios, professional networks and email signatures to highlight your enhanced skill set and expertise.
After completing three courses of your choice, you will receive a Certificate in Leadership. This powerful credential signifies your diverse leadership skill set and ability to manage through disruption.
Note: This course is delivered virtually over four weeks and includes 25 hours of learning. Expect highly interactive live sessions led by expert Ivey faculty, small peer learning groups, executive coaching, online simulations and learning journeys within the course.
Effective negotiations build your reputation and relationships. Whether between suppliers, clients, other managers or external stakeholders, negotiation isn’t about winners and losers – it’s about aligning resources appropriately and creating value.
Throughout Strategic Business Negotiations for CPAs, you will learn the essential skills required to successfully prepare, lead and adapt during negotiations. Rooted in experiential learning, this course will challenge you to engage in negotiations with fellow participants, receive and apply feedback and reflect on your own performance. Gain confidence in your ability to identify negotiation opportunities, conduct successful negotiations and learn to implement agreements effectively.
|Identify opportunities to create value through negotiation|
|Improve your ability to prepare for and manage the negotiation process|
|Adapt your negotiation approach to different circumstances|
|Develop confidence in your negotiation skills through real-world simulations|
How you learn
This course is deeply experiential, grounded in case research and facilitated by expert faculty from Ivey Business School.
Ivey’s real-world case methodology isn’t about textbooks and lectures – it’s about learning by doing. You will identify specific, practical learning takeaways through deep discussion and simulations, then develop an implementation plan with feedback from other leaders.
Learning methods include:
- self-paced learning activities including pre-recorded videos, readings, case studies, private forums and self-reflection exercises
- live, faculty-led sessions featuring expert Ivey faculty
- discussion sessions with peers in private forums and guided self-reflection exercises
- online simulations using realistic challenges where leaders can test action against immediate feedback in individual or team-based scenarios
- opportunities to test leadership skills in online simulations, apply concepts in critical decision-making moments and navigate team dynamics – just like in real life
- peer learning sessions to share experiences, exchange ideas and collaborate to solve challenges in virtual breakout groups during larger sessions
- Experience a variety of different negotiation strategies through realistic negotiation exercises.
- Identify opportunities to create value for both negotiating parties.
- Receive valuable feedback on your newly acquired negotiation skills in a risk-free environment.
- Develop a clear strategy to tackle specific challenges at your organization.
Who will benefit?
This course is suitable for CPAs who are mid-to-senior level leaders who want to master negotiation skills to create value. Whether they are Managers, VPs or Executive Directors, participants should have at least five years of business experience.
While not required, we often recommend that two leaders from one organization attend together to maximize learning outcomes. This helps to generate dialogue and maximize learning outcomes for your entire team, not just course participants.
Need approval to attend?
Fernando Olivera joined Ivey as an Associate Professor in Organizational Behaviour in 1998. He earned a Ph.D. and M.Sc. in Industrial Administration from the Graduate School of Industrial Administration at Carnegie Mellon University and a B.Sc. in Electronics Engineering from the Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, México. Fernando teaches courses in organizational behaviour and interpersonal negotiations in Ivey's MBA, EMBA, Executive Education, and Ph.D. programs. He has conducted negotiation and leadership courses for a variety of organizations, including Bruce Power, the Ontario Public Service, J.D. Irving Ltd., PwC, RSA, RBC, TELUS, New World Development (Hong Kong), Hutchinson Port Holdings (Hong Kong), Manitoulin Transport and the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan.