MRA - CGA Canada and CPA Australia
If you are a member in good standing of CPA Australia, you may qualify for admission to membership in CPA Ontario under the Mutual Recognition Agreement (the “MRA”) between CGA Canada and CPA Australia. If you are admitted to CGA Ontario, you will be automatically admitted to CPA Ontario, as a result of unification of the accounting profession and become entitled to use the CPA, CGA designations in Ontario.
In order to qualify for admission to membership, you must:
- Be a member in good standing of CPA Australia; and
- Have been admitted to CPA Australia through successful completion one of the following:
- an accounting degree approved by CPA Australia and the CPA Program including the practical experience requirement; or
- a non-accounting degree and:
- an appropriate accounting conversion course approved by CPA Australia; and
- the CPA Program including the practical experience requirement.
- Members who do not fall under either paragraphs (a) or (b) but who have at least 15 years of work experience, at least 5 years of which has been at a senior level.
Candidates will not be eligible for admission under the MRA if:
- They have joined CPA Australia through an MRA with another accounting body;
- They are the subject of a current investigation or referral to a hearing regarding professional conduct; and
- Have been subject to any disciplinary sanctions within the five (5) years prior to submitting an application to CPA Ontario.
How to Apply
To apply for admission to membership as a candidate under the MRA with CPA Australia, please send an email to ITAregistration@cpaontario.ca for an application form and a list of the documents required. Please note that you will be required to successfully complete the Overview of Canadian Tax and Law Course, an online course offered by CPA Canada. Information on how to register in this course will be included in our response to your email.
All documentation must be provided in English. You are responsible to have documents officially translated if necessary. Your application will not be considered complete until all information and documentation has been received. It is your responsibility to ensure the application is complete and accurate and is received by the Registrar.
Submit your application via email or regular mail. Information completed via affidavit and containing a notarial seal or commissioner‘s stamp must be submitted in original form by regular mail.
Mail: 69 Bloor Street East, Toronto, ON M4W 1B3 Attn: CPA Ontario Registrar’s Office
Upon receipt of your complete application, you will be informed of the Registrar’s decision within four to six weeks.
Admission to Membership
Once your application has been approved by the Registrar, you will be eligible to apply for membership in CPA Ontario. Members are awarded the Chartered Professional Accountant and Certified General Accountant designations and are therefore entitled to use the initials CPA, CGA in Ontario.
On average, it takes approximately four to five months, from the time a complete application is received by CPA Ontario, for a candidate from CPA Australia to complete the process leading to admission to membership.
After your application has been approved by the Registrar, you will be contacted to pay the one-time initiation fee and the Annual Membership Dues (AMD) for the current year. The total fee payable consists of the following:
|Admission April 1 to September 30:||Admission October 1 to March 31:|
|HST on Initiation Fee||$ 65.00||$ 65.00|
|CPA Ontario AMD||$580.00||$290.00|
|CPA Canada AMD||$380.00||$190.00|
|HST on AMD||$124.80||$ 62.40|
A decision of the Registrar not to register or reregister an individual or to deregister an individual may be appealed to the Membership Committee. The parties to an appeal are the individual appealing and the Registrar. The appeal shall be conducted in accordance with the CPA Ontario Rules of Practice and Procedure. The decision of the Membership Committee is final.
For more information please contact ITAregistration@cpaontario.ca.