CPA Ontario has recently adopted a new Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan (ICAP). Effective immediately, this new MOU allows qualifying ICAP members an even faster route to the Canadian CPA designation.
Eligibility requirements for this category are:
- Be a member in good standing of ICAP; and
- Have been admitted to ICAP by completing ICAP’s qualifying examination(s) and not by virtue of another agreement with a third party.
How to Register
Please submit the following:
- A letter of good standing (LGS) from ICAP certifying your membership in good standing and that you completed the qualifying examinations or Request for Certification of Membership with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan form. You may provide this documentation as long as the original is provided by mail. Alternatively, ICAP may email the LGS directly to CPA Ontario. Submission instructions are outlined below.
- International Candidate Application Form;
- CPA Certification Program CPA Student Registration Form 6-1A;
- Fee Remittance – see details below;
- Sign and date CPA Ontario’s Academic Code of Conduct and abide by it;
- Proof of legal name
- Chronological resume listing all work experience; and
- Letter(s) of good standing from all other professional accounting bodies in which you hold membership.
All documentation must be provided in English. You are responsible to have documents officially translated if necessary.
Your application will not be considered complete until all information and documentation has been received. It is your responsibility to ensure the application is complete and accurate and is received by the Registrar.
Submit your application via email or regular mail. Information completed via affidavit and containing a notary or commissioner stamp or seal must be submitted in original form by regular mail.
69 Bloor Street East
Toronto, ON M4W 1B3
Attention: Registrar’s Office
Upon receipt of your complete application for registration, you will be informed within eight to twelve weeks of the Registrar’s decision..
Students registered in this pathway are required to successfully complete the Common Final Examination (CFE) and meet the experience requirement to become members of CPA Ontario.
Students registered under the new MOU are granted an exemption from the prescribed practical experience requirement if they have obtained:
- a recognized university degree and more than two years of post-qualification experience; or
- more than five years of post-qualification experience.
CPA Ontario will determine your eligibility for exemption from the experience requirement upon receipt of your completed application for student registration. If you do not meet the experience requirements noted above, you will be required to have a detailed assessment of your experience performed by CPA Ontario. Information about that process will be sent to you once your application for student registration is approved by the Registrar.
If you are applying to register as a student, you are required to submit fees with your application. The fee is based on when your application is submitted and includes HST. The fee can be paid by credit card or by cheque made payable to Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario.