Member of Instituto Mexicano de Contadores Publicos
The mutual recognition agreement (MRA) between all Canadian CPA bodies and the Instituto Mexicano de Contadores Públicos (IMCP) and Comité Mexicano para la Práctica Internacional de la Contaduría (COMPIC) came into effect on January 1, 2018.
In order to qualify for registration as an applicant you must:
- Be a member in good standing with the Instituto Mexicano de Contadores Publicos and hold a Contador Publico Certificado (CPC designation)
- Not have been registered with CPA Ontario or another provincial body as a student in the five (5) years prior to, or at the time of, writing the first part of the IMCP Examen Uniforme de
Certicacionde la Contaduria Publica
- and you meet the following additional criteria:
- hold at least a baccalaureate or higher degree, and
- have passed the Examen Uniforme de Certificacion de la Contaduria Publica (EUC)
- hold a public accounting
licence(Cédula Profesional) issued by the Dirección General de Profesiones/ Secretaría de Educación Pública
- have 30 months of relevant practical experience
- be in compliance with the Continuing Professional Education (CPE) requirements of the IMCP
Mexican CPCs who are, or have been, Canadian residents must meet additional requirements.
Applicants who wrote the EUC while they were a resident of
- a university degree from a degree-granting institution of higher education in Mexico as a result of having attended the institution in person for classroom instruction on a full-time basis, or
- at least one year of full-time practical experience in accounting in Mexico
Please note that "becoming a resident of Canada" means the date of landing in Canada as evidenced by government documentation, excluding any period of time of temporary residency in Canada under a temporary visa or student visa following the expiry of which residency in Canada ceased or ceased for a continuous period of at least one year prior to returning to Canada.
Under this agreement, Mexican CPCs are not eligible if they obtained their Mexican CPC credential by qualifying under a reciprocal agreement that IMCP may have with another professional accountancy organization. This includes all mutual recognition agreements, reciprocal membership agreements, and other similar agreements that the Mexican government may have had at any time.
Note: If you are a member in good standing of Instituto Mexicano de Contadores Publicos and you do not meet the eligibility criteria set out in the MRA, you may be eligible to complete the Canadian CPA Certification Program via the Member of Accounting Body Outside Canada pathway.
Once you have been approved for registration as an applicant, you will be eligible to apply for membership as a member in CPA Ontario. Members are awarded the Chartered Professional Accountant and Chartered Accountant designations and are therefore entitled to use the initials CPA, CA in Ontario.
In order to maintain your membership with CPA Ontario, you will be required to successfully complete the CPA Reciprocity Professional Development Course (CARPD) by the second anniversary of the date of admission to membership. CARPD consists of approximately 20 hours of online study in Canadian tax, law
Practical Experience Requirements
Upon receipt of a completed application for registration, you will have your application and supporting documents assessed by the Registrar to determine if you have at least 30 months of relevant practical experience. Applicants with at least two years of relevant post CPC qualification experience satisfactory to the Registrar will be considered to have met the 30-month requirement. You may be required to complete a Practical Experience Certificate for Internationally Trained Accountants for all relevant accounting experience to demonstrate that the CPA Practical Experience Requirements (CPA PER) have been met.
How to Register
To register with CPA Ontario as an applicant under the Recognized Accounting Body pathway, please submit the following:
- an International Candidate Application Form;
- a Certification of Membership Form. All applicants are required to provide confirmation that their membership in IMPC is in good standing. Such confirmation must be provided by the IMCP in prescribed form and should be sent directly to CPA Ontario by mail or email. If the Applicant is submitting the letter with their application, the original is required. Applicants are solely responsible for contacting their accounting body and requesting such confirmation. CPA Ontario reserves the right to contact the IMCP or any other professional or regulatory body and to make enquires and/or obtain information in relation to this application;
- an International Candidate – Application for Registration form (this form is temporarily unavailable);
- fee remittance – see below;
- sign and date CPA Ontario's Academic Code of Conduct and abide by it;
- Proof of legal name
- a detailed chronological résumé listing all work experience;
- letter(s) of good standing from all other professional accounting bodies in which you hold membership (originals must be submitted with your application or they can be sent directly by mail or email from your accounting body);
- a Practical Experience Certificate for Internationally Trained Candidates for all relevant accounting experience to demonstrate that the experience requirements have been met; and
- Residency Documents: documentation showing the date you first landed in Canada, documentation showing the year you first filed a Canadian Income Tax Return, copy of Canadian Customs and Immigration Landing Documents (if applicable), copy of Canadian VISAs held (if applicable), copy of passport page(s) containing immigration stamp(s) to support Canadian entry/exit dates and/or residency pattern at the time of writing the normal qualifying examination(s), memorandum prepared on a supplementary sheet outlining, in sufficient detail, your residency pattern at the time of writing the normal qualifying examination(s). The memorandum must also provide clarification as to whether you maintained a home or mailing address in Canada at the time of writing the normal qualifying examination(s).
All documentation must be provided in English. You are responsible to have documents officially translated if necessary.
Your application will not be considered complete until all information and documentation
Submit your application via email or regular mail. Information completed via affidavit and containing a notary or commissioner stamp or seal must be submitted in original form by regular mail.
69 Bloor Street East
Toronto, ON M4W 1B3
Attention: Registrar’s Office
Upon receipt of your complete application for registration, you will be informed within eight to twelve weeks of the Registrar’s decision on registration.
On average, we estimate that it will take approximately 5 months, from the time a complete application is received by CPA Ontario, for an applicant from Instituto Mexicano de Contadores Publicos qualifying pursuant to this MRA to complete the process leading to admission to membership.
Individuals applying for registration as applicants are required to remit the fee indicated below.
The fee amount includes HST and must be remitted by credit card or by cheque made payable to Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario.
Applicant Initial Administration Fee*
Annual Applicant Fee**
Total Registration Fee before Taxes
Taxes on Applicant Initial Administration Fee (HST#10750 8525)*
Taxes on Annual Applicant Fee (HST#10750 8525)
Total Registration Fee due
*If your registration application is denied or deemed incomplete and returned by CPA Ontario, the Initial Administration Fee plus applicable taxes will be considered forfeit (non-refundable). All other fees that have been paid plus applicable taxes will be refunded with the incomplete application.
**This fee covers the period July 1 to June 30.
Fees associated with admission to membership and annual