Beginning of Main Content
Common Final Examination (CFE) Enrolment FAQs
Find answers to common questions about enrolling in the CFE.
How do I enrol in the CFE?
- Log into the CFE Enrolment Portal
- Verify your profile information. Check the consent and declaration boxes.
- Select your preferred CFE writing centre from the dropdown menu and select “Enrol”.
- Proceed according to your method of payment:
VISA or MasterCard
- Select “M – Member or Student” from the Registrant Class dropdown menu and select “Continue to Checkout”.
- Confirm the total amounts are correct.
- Enter your credit card information and select “Continue to Checkout”. If you receive an error message, do not re-enter your card but contact Customer Service.
- Log out by selected “CFE Logout”
- To access confirmation of payment, log back in and select “Confirmation of Enrolment” on the left navigation bars. Print this for your records.
Cheque or Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
- Select “SCHQ – Cheque Payment” from the Registrant Class dropdown menu and select “Continue to Checkout”.
- Review your selection and select “Check-out”. The total will be $0.00.
- Log out and log back in and select “Confirmation of Enrolment” on the left navigation bars. Print this document.
- Send your Confirmation of Enrolment with your cheque to CPA Ontario. Cheque payments must be received by Friday, May 31, 2017.
What is the CFE?
- The Common Final Exam is the culmination of the CPA certification program.
- It is a final examination that evaluates students on the competencies defined by the Competency Map.
- Students may attempt the CFE a maximum of 3 times.
Where can I find the list of examination centres?
Please refer to the Common Final Exam (CFE) Enrolment page for a list of all examination centres.
Can I transfer examination centres?
Transfer of writing centres may only be requested in writing and are only accepted if space permits. Written notification should be sent to CFE@cpaontario.ca. Requests must be received no later than August 4, 2017. The fee to transfer is $56.50 ($50.00 plus $6.50 HST).
Can I write the 2017 CFE?
To be eligible to enrol to write the 2017 CFE a student must be:
- Enrolled in or completed a CPA Ontario Accredited University Master’s Program; or
- Enrolled in Capstone 2 of PEP; or
- A rewriter who did not pass the last attempt and has not exceeded 3 attempts, or
A non-member who is an eligible writer from another region. Students enrol in their own province and then ask to be transferred to Ontario. That body will email us to request permission and we then enrol them manually.
Can I write the CFE in French?
Students should submit an email with their request to email@example.com no later than August 14, 2017.
I want to write the 2017 CFE in another province. How do I do this?
Students that wish to write the CFE in another province must enrol and select either Toronto exam location, and then submit a request in writing with a copy of their Confirmation of Enrolment (available on the CFE profile page via the left navigation tabs) to firstname.lastname@example.org and include their CPA Ontario ID in the subject line.
What can I bring to the writing centre?
- There are numerous restrictions on what a student is allowed to bring into the examination centre. Please direct students to the exam rules and video posted on D2L discussion boards, or provide them with this PDF.
- Note: Students must bring government-issued photo ID to the examination. OHIP cards are accepted.
- The personal information on the ID must match the student’s information on file with CPA Ontario or they will not be permitted to write the exam.
Can I defer writing the 2017 CFE to the 2018 offering?
Which case will I need to do for Day 1?
- First-time writers will do the case relating to their Capstone 1.
- Rewriters can choose between the current and last case.
What would happen if I showed up for Day 1, but I couldn’t make it to Days 2 and/or 3?
- New writers must complete all three days. In this situation, the attempt would be recorded as failed.
- No refund would be available unless the student provided documentation of extreme circumstances (e.g. car accident on day of the exam, hospitalization, etc.).
- Students should email email@example.com and include their CPA ID number.
- There are no partial refunds available.
If I pass Day 1 but fail Day 2 & 3, do I pass or fail the CFE?
Day 1 is treated as one attempt, and Days 2 & 3 are treated as one attempt.
- If a student passes Day 1 and fails Days 2 & 3, the student has to write Days 2 & 3 on their next attempt.
- If a student fails Day 1 and passes Days 2 & 3, the student has to write Day 1 on their next attempt (the Capstone 1 case may be different and the student will need ensure they are comfortable with the new Capstone 1 case).
- If the student fails all three days, they must rewrite all three days.
If I fail the September 2017 CFE, can I attempt it in 2018?
Yes, unless the student has made 3 attempts already. There is a limit of 3 attempts for the CFE.
Why can’t I choose Financial Reporting as an elective?
Although students must show depth in either Financial Reporting or Management Accounting, students do not select them. There are equal opportunities to do both on the exam.
What is the late upload fee?
Students must upload the exam file on their laptop by midnight on the last day of the CFE to the Software Secure site. Instructions are provided at the exam centres. Uploads after midnight will result in a $200 late fee charge. Learn more about Securexam.
Why is the CFE offered just once this year?
The CFE was offered twice in 2016. Due to the writing volume, we could not provide feedback to students on their performance. The time between the exams did not allow for students to receive detailed feedback on where they went wrong. For 2017 and 2018, there will only be one offering per year. The profession is currently soliciting input from employers and candidates on the number of offerings for 2019.
What is the date for the 2018 CFE?
The CFE will be offered once in 2018. The 2018 exam date has yet to be determined.
How do I enrol?
Students can enrol online only. There are no paper enrolment forms. The enrolment page is accessible from the CFE portal and from the link in the emailed notice sent to students in mid-April.
Why can’t I enrol?
If you believe you are eligible for the CFE, and any of the following apply, please contact Customer Service for assistance.
- Have enrolled in or completed a CPA Ontario Accredited University Master’s Program,
- Have enrolled in Capstone 2 of PEP,
- Are a non-member who is an eligible writer from another province,
- Are rewriting the exam.
Will I receive exam ticket/confirmation for the CFE examination?
No. However, you may print a Confirmation of Enrolment after logging in to the CFE enrolment portal. The confirmation is available via the left navigation tabs.
Remember: Students must bring government-issued photo ID to the examination.
I enrolled for the CFE but need to withdraw. How can I get a refund?
- To withdraw from the CFE, students must perform this action online no later than August 14, 2017.
- A withdrawal fee of $200 (plus HST) will be applied
- Refunds will not be issued for withdrawal requests received after August 14, 2017.
- Processing refunds takes approximately 4-6 weeks.
I cannot remember which writing centre I enrolled in. How can I check?
Students can log in to the 2017 CFE portal using your CPA Ontario ID and password. Once logged in, a message will be displayed that confirms your enrolment followed by the examination centre. You can print a Confirmation of Enrolment from the menu bar on the left.
Can I transfer from my current assigned CFE exam centre to another?
- Transfers may only be requested in writing and are only accepted if space permits.
- Requests must be received prior to August 24, 2017.
- Requests should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your CPA Ontario ID number indicated on the subject line.
- The fee to transfer is $56.50 ($50.00 plus $6.50 HST). Payment is made manually by credit card at the time of transfer.
I am a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) applicant. Can I enrol in the CFE right away?
MOU applicants must have completed Capstone 1 and 2 to be able to enrol for the CFE.
If you have additional questions, please contact Customer Service.
The writing centre for the location I selected is listed as “TBA”. What does that mean?
If the writing centre is listed as “TBA” for the city/town you selected, please check the website at a later date for a confirmed exam location.
Will students in accredited programs be reminded to complete their registration with CPA Ontario?
Students who are eligible to proceed directly to the CFE will be contacted in mid-April. These students will be permitted to register conditionally pending successful completion of the graduate component.
What are the payment options?
There are three payment options available:
- Online payment using VISA, MasterCard or Interac Debit. Cash, VISA debit and AMEX are currently not accepted. Confirmation receipts for online payments will be available upon payment completion.
- Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) payment via the student’s financial institution. The student must contact their financial institution to set up this option. The payment lisiting is available under “CPA Ontario.” Students must use their CPA Ontario ID as the account number. Receipts for EFTs will be available online in approximately 5 business days.
- Students can also pay by cheque, provided the cheque is received (and dated) prior to May 31, 2017. This method requires a longer processing time so it is not recommended. To pay by cheque, a student must:
- Print a copy of their Confirmation of Enrolment available via the left navigation tabs when they are logged in to the CFE enrolment site.
- Make the cheque payable to “CPA Ontario” and mail it, along with Confirmation of Enrolment, to:
Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario
25 York Street, Suite 1100
Toronto, ON M5J 2V5
Receipts for cheques will be available online in approximately 5 business days after the payment has been received.
Payment cannot be made with VISA Debit, AMEX or cash.
Can I pay cash?
No, cash is not accepted.
I chose cheque payment, but my cheque will not arrive before the deadline is over. Can I pay by credit card?
Yes. Send an email to email@example.com requesting payment by credit card, and include your phone number. For your security, do not include your credit card information in the email.
I paid by credit card but my employer is going to pay. Can I get a refund?
No. When the employer payment arrives, the employer will be refunded. Students should seek reimbursement from the employer directly.
What is the turn-around time for processing a CFE refund?
Refunds are issued within four to six weeks.
I cannot remember my password.
Reset your password by following the instructions on the login page
I am having trouble logging in.
If you are having difficulties logging in, please:
- confirm you have entered your CPA Ontario ID correctly
- try your password again, but note that they are case-sensitive
If the above does not work, please try resetting your password.
I got the email to enrol but I am getting an error message when I am trying to enrol.
Please ensure you are using Internet Explorer and have cleared your “cookies” and cache. Be sure you are using your CPA Ontario ID and password.
Why didn’t I receive the notice that enrolment has opened?
Either your email address on file is incorrect or you were not eligible at the time the enrolment notice was sent out.
Please confirm your email address.
Why can’t I enrol?
If you think you are eligible to write the CFE but cannot enrol, please contact Customer Service.
How can I find out more about Securexam?
Please refer to the Securexam page for additional information about the software.